These 10 Password Security Statistics Prove That Your “Password Protected” Data Isn’t Safe.
Even as cybersecurity threats have grown and evolved, many businesses haven’t evolved their strategies for keeping their systems and data safe. Companies are still relying on passwords alone to be an effective security measure – and that is a mistake that could cost a fortune. Today’s password security statistics tell the real story of how dangerous that outdated thinking can be.
Don’t rely on just a password for data loss prevention. It’s completely outdated. You wouldn’t use an old-fashioned lock to secure your office door – why are you relying on an old-fashioned lock to secure your data?
Passwords Aren’t Protection in 2020
Passwords are not an effective security measure, and keeping data and systems safe in the modern threat landscape requires stronger protection. These 10 statistics clearly show that passwords are definitely not the last word in data loss prevention.
- At least 65% of people reuse passwords across multiple sites.
- A terrifying 13% of people use the same password for all passworded accounts and devices.
- About 80% of data breaches in 2019 were caused by password compromise.
- Although 91% of participants in a recent survey understand the risk of password reuse, 59% admitted to doing it anyway.
- In 2019, 42% of companies were breached by a bad password.
- Unfortunately, 48% of workers use the same passwords in both their personal and work accounts.
- Compromised passwords are responsible for 81% of hacking-related breaches.
- The average person reuses each password 14 times!
- An estimated 49% of employees only add a digit or change a character in their password when they’re required to update it.
- Passwords were leaked in about 65% of the breaches that happened in 2019.
Upgrade Data Security Without Upending the IT Budget
Adding security essentials like multifactor authentication, single sign on, remote access management, and more simple, sensible protections help keep data and systems safe from cybercrime.
Add a cost-effective secure identity and access management solution to your security stack now to quickly upgrade the lock on the door to your company’s data – and lock bad actors out. Contact us for more information.
Visit www.optistartech.com/sat/ by December 31st, 2020 to learn more about our Free 45-Day Trial of Security Awareness Training and Dark Web Monitoring.